Friday, November 14, 2008

Looking Around, Believing by Gary Soto

This week, Gary Soto reminds us that we can always stop to find the world miraculous.

Looking Around, Believing

How strange that we can begin at any time.
With two feet we get down the street.
With a hand we undo the rose.
With an eye we lift up the peach tree
And hold it up to the wind — white blossoms
At our feet. Like today. I started
In the yard with my daughter,
With my wife poking at a potted geranium,
And now I am walking down the street,
Amazed that the sun is only so high,
Just over the roof, and a child
Is singing through a rolled newspaper
And a terrier is leaping like a flea
And at the bakery I pass, a palm,
Like a suctioning starfish, is pressed
To the window. We're keeping busy —
This way, that way, we're making shadows
Where sunlight was, making words
Where there was only noise in the trees.



Gary Soto was born in Fresno, California in 1952 to working-class, Mexican-American parents. He is the author of many books of poetry, including, most recently A Simple Plan (Chronicle books). Soto currently resides in Northern California.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful poem. Found a link at another blog site and followed it here. So glad. I have you bookmarked now. I gave your site a shoutout at my blog and reprinted the poem. Hope I did not violate any important trust or law. Let me know if you object, and I'll remove it. Here is my blog:
hhtp://nmolinaropost.webs.com

11:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oops! Sorry. Fat fingers again. Of course, it should be http:nmolinaropost.webs.com

2:16 PM  
Blogger disabled account said...

this is the only poem i've read that you posted that i didn't really like...perhaps i should read it again when i'm in a different state of mind...or perhaps i was distracted by the picture of daniel craig. ;)

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this poem. It reminds me of a lazy, peaceful Sunday.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But there is no point made by the poem? What is the author aiming at - what is the intention? He starts by saying "How strange that we can begin at any time." But here is no following up of that statement.

By the way:

INVITATION

Invited hereby to my site
please be. You see I poems write
and knight like fight and youth alight.
That photo says it. Godly, right?

I want more readers. I want you
to come as if out from the blue
and tell me what I write is true
and make my motivation new.

Why you? This is not spam, God’s dear.
I stand by what I do. I care.
Your senseless love to me I fear.
I mean it. I am good. Take care.

Visit: Poems of A.W.E.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

I like this and will read some more of this author.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Shop hoa TPHCM said...

Shop hoa tươi tphcm chuyên cung cấp các dịch vụ sản phẩm hoa tươi đẹp chất lượng như hoa tang le, hoa tuoi

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home