Friday, August 29, 2008

The Waking by Theodore Roethke

This week, Roethke's beautiful and mysterious poem, The Waking. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on what it means. I don't believe there's one right answer.

Notice the poem's form--the villanelle. You may recognize it from Dylan Thomas's famous poem Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night. The villanelle form enhances this poem's content brilliantly.


The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me, so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.


Theodore Roethke (1908-1963) was born in Saginaw, Michigan. Stylistically his work ranged from witty poems in strict meter and regular stanzas to free verse poems full of mystical and surrealistic imagery. At all times, however, the natural world in all its mystery, beauty, fierceness, and sensuality, is close by, and the poems are possessed of an intense lyricism.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

Dear Sarah,
How incredibly appropriate a poem for your big days now here and ahead....though you have lived some dashing days, and many of them, already.
As a an artist and a woman, I salute your love of the art of poetry and it is always a pleasure to read what you have chosen so very well.
Lynne

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel this poem and I will take my waking slow. I must not Can't not Loose myself in the artress. Ty

5:52 PM  
Blogger disabled account said...

life is the big sleep, not death. when i die i will be fully awakened from the dream; so i will take my time and do what i need to do, where i need to do it, and i will take the wisdom that i may gain and hope it is of some use.

i agree, i don't think there can be one right answer to what this means because the journey, or waking, is very personal for each one of us.

it's a beautiful poem. thank you.

(your i.d. blurb made me giggle this week)

1:08 AM  
Blogger pasteques said...

Thank you for this! :)
PS: Hilarious little about me type thing you have going.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Kirk Jordan said...

This poem is so fluid, ambient, and circular, that it’s hard to read certain meaning from it, however, the refrain “we learn by going, where we have to go” made real sense to me. It seems that we discover what it means to be alive, even as we live … and present effect is the seedbed of tomorrow’s cause.

Ps. Go Sarah!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

This is lovely! One of my personal top 10 you've posted yet. Just love the flow and feel to this piece.

PS - Go Sarah! The only person on the presidential tickets that has actual executive experience.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful poem and a model of the villanelle. I believe it was written shortly (like a day or so) one of those time when Roethke would have himself (or ask others to do it for him) admitted to the hospital. He was rather famous for the manic moments when he would communicate with nature. In those moments of clarity, of light--for all of us--there is nothing but paradox and wonder, and who wouldn't want to ask slowly. . . ?

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading these kind of posts reminds me of just how technology truly is something we cannot live without in this day and age, and I am 99% certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.blog.com/2010/01/31/will-the-r4-or-r4i-work/]R4 Card[/url] DS BlogServ)

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2016-5-7 xiaobao
pandora jewelry
michael kors uk
air jordans
mont blanc pens
air jordans
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet
coach factory outlet
coach outlet
gucci outlet
gucci handbags
burberry outlet
fitflop sandals
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet store online
asics shoes
adidas yeezy
fitflops sale clearance
beats wireless headphones
oakley outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
polo ralph lauren
michael kors handbags
canada goose
oakley vault
coach outlet
nike outlet
kate spade handbags
louis vuitton
coach outlet store online
ralph lauren polo outlet
christian louboutin outlet
true religion outlet
nike air max 90
longchamp outlet
hollister clothing
kobe shoes 11

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kyrie irving shoes
bape official
supreme
jordan shoes
off white nike
paul george
goyard bag
off white jordan 1
yeezy
fear of god

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home